Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Hawassa, Ethiopia

After a very simple Thanksgiving and a successful week re-group with the entire Universal Immunizations through Improving Family Health Services (UI-FHS) staff I am finally in southern Ethiopia, Hawassa to be exact. I was hoping to spend this week out at my work location meeting more of the government staff however due to circumstances out of my control I have been stuck in Hawassa.  Not to fret though, as Hawassa is a beautiful city and this time has given me the opportunity to learn a bit more about the culture and people that live in Southern Ethiopia.

Unlike Mekele in Tigray, Hawassa is a resort town not only for foreigners who are here to bird watch and see the hippos but it is also a vacation destination for the locals. The city of Hawassa borders a beautiful lake and dormant volcano, in which there are a couple of miles of public walking paths that I like to frequent in the early afternoons. Southern Ethiopia is known as the “cash crop” area of the country, where almost all produce is grown that keeps Ethiopians and Peace Corps Volunteers alive, if this crop fails severely for multiple years in a row, famine sets in. I’ve also been lucky to have regular access to items such as bell peppers, passion fruit, cherry tomatoes, strawberries, green onions, and different varieties of lettuce. Items I really didn’t have access to up in Mekele.
Lake Hawassa about a 2 min walk from house

Right out my front window

My new living conditions are a step up from anything I've ever lived in before in fact I might be a bit spoiled as I have a hot shower and refrigerator. I know to most of you these are essential to our daily lives however these are extremely rare for Peace Corps Volunteers to have. I've been laughing at myself a bit because I am having to re-learn how to use a refrigerator again. I know what goes into a fridge in America but not in Ethiopia. I'm slowly realizing I can cook a larger quantity of a dish and put it in my fridge and then re-heat it the next day. I've pretty much mastered the one serving size meal and am readjusting a bit. 

Another funny story, I had been in my house about 8 days before I walked next door to visit with the Scottish couple in my compound, to learn that I can make ice in the top portion of my fridge. It had not occurred to me to make ice cubes yet. It was just unutilized space in the top of my fridge I almost thought of it as a waste of space.  I’ve lived in this country long enough to assume ice is just not an option. I then quickly realized I could buy a small bottle of local gin and some tonic quite inexpensively and make myself a cocktail occasionally in my house. What a wonderful discovery!

Work has slowed down a bit, as I’m in between case studies at the moment.  The NGO and I are still working on revisions and formatting etc, then it will be released to the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Don’t really know what that means all I hope is that the information is helpful to the Federal Ministry of Health in Ethiopia in re-writing their immunization strategies.

Well below are some pictures of Hawassa. When I head out to my work location I’ll be sure to post those pictures as well.  
Inside my compound in Hawassa, I usually sit at that table and work, its under the avocado tree

Monkeys I see regularly


No comments:

Post a Comment